What we think of the home security system Y-Cam
Recently I got a Y-Cam home security alarm for a review. A home security system has been one of those things I've wanted in my home for ages now. It's been the combination of a slightly anxious nature, reading too many real crime stories online and an overactive imagination. Touch wood, we've never been burgled, but as we live in an end of terrace home it's been one of the things that do make you worry at times. Having a home alarm system has helped my mind ease a lot.
As for the home security system, I've been very pleased with our Y-Cam - it was easy to install, has been easy to use with apps on our smartphones and works well. It alerts us via noise and a mobile notification if alarms are triggered - obviously it's only ever been just us forgetting the alarm was on and walking in! You can have different levels of service - we don't pay anything monthly but if you want additional services such as recording on a camera (if you have one) or SMS alert messages, you can opt for one for £5.99 a month.
Our bundle is the Y-Cam Protect. It comes with the hub, one remote, one motion alarm and one access alarm (used on a door or window). The amount of alarms in this package is perfect for a flat. It is also just about enough for a normal sized house, if you can position the motion alarm in a sensible way. That said, for a house I would recommend getting a more substantial version, or perhaps buying one or two more access alarms to properly cover the whole house.
So what have I been particularly impressed by Y-Cam system?
- Easy to use: I installed the system and apps in less than half an hour. You literally just plug it in the router, add the motion and access alarms on your app and stick them where you want. Easy to use also on your mobile via an app.
- Smartphone application: Instead of a remote you can use the app on a smartphone. You can turn it on an off anywhere with internet, so even if you forget to turn it on before leaving, it's not a problem. You can link several apps, so everyone in your home can use it via a smartphone. You also get notifications on your mobile if someone activates the alarm, or if alarm is triggered.
- Cost: The bundles are very reasonably priced for home security systems. Ours costs £149.99 which is very affordable for a home security system. You can have bigger bundles of course, or add to the bundle, which also increases the cost.
- Responsiveness: I've tested the alarm myself obviously, with accidentally walking in the room, and yes - it works really well. The motion alarm has a great reach!
- Adaptability: You can buy additional motion and access alarms so you can fully cover your house. You can also get a camera, internal and/or external, so you can check on your house when away.
What could be improved with the Y-Cam system?
- The alarm sound: To be honest, the alarm sound is quit quiet, and could be difficult to hear upstairs if you were sleeping. This could be improved if you could purchase an additional internal siren to use upstairs - none were available when I checked.
- Internet-only for a non-subscription version: As part and parcel, if you want the additional cover which is not only reliant on WiFi, you have to pay - £5.99 a month. You get additional benefits too, such as more customisable cover of the house (use only part of the alarms for example), camera recording and logs and SMS messages when alarms triggered. This is standard for home security systems so not a real negative - but worth remembering that full cover requires some extra cash on a monthly basis.
Overall I have been very pleased with our Y-Cam home security system. We have the bare-bones version but we find it is sufficient to provide a decent level of cover. The biggest benefit I think is how easy the system is to use via a smartphone app - you can literally turn it on anywhere there is either WiFi or 3G, and you also get notifications via the app if the system has been activated or alarms triggered.
Have you guys ever had home security systems? Have they eased your minds?
This sounds fantastic. A great way to ease the worry a little. It sounds very easy to use.ReplyDelete
We have nothing like that here but most of the time there is always one of us in the house. #TriedTested
The same thing for us - we are usually at the house. But it does provide the feeling of security when we aren't :)Delete
Thanks for sharing your review on #TriedTested this week xReplyDelete
Thanks for hosting!Delete
This is something I really need to look into! Thanks for linking up with #TriedTestedReplyDelete
It's been one of those home things I've wanted for ages - it was great to get to review one!Delete
I can't believe you can use this via a smart phone app - just wow! #TriedTestedReplyDelete
It was so handy! Love the ease of it.Delete
This sounds pretty good and quite affordable. Great that you can activate it with your smartphone if you forget to do so before leaving. i bet that feature comes in handy all the time.ReplyDelete
Yep - as far as costs go, I think this is on the more affordable side. The smart phone activation is my favourite aspect actually - so easy to use!Delete